The last thing we are thinking about during the holidays is indoor air quality. However, it's actually during this time of year that our activities can make the air quality worse.
You've just finished Thanksgiving dinner and now your eye lids are getting heavy. We're all familiar with this post-meal drowsiness. Some people attribute this to a full stomach or tryptophan, a nutrient in turkey that allegedly causes drowsiness. However, most people don't realize that carbon monoxide levels are elevated due to poor ventilation from gas-burning stoves and ovens, especially after baking a turkey for 8+ hours. Even minimal levels of carbon monoxide can cause fatigue and drowsiness.
Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colorless, odorless, tasteless gas that can be lethal if exposure is elevated or prolonged. Possible sources of carbon monoxide are gas dryers, water heaters, gas stoves, vehicles, fireplaces and more.
So the question is, how do we prevent a build up of this gas in our homes?
Ventilation is key, especially during the holidays. Crack the windows and doors if possible and take a walk after Thanksgiving dinner.
Have a safe and happy Thanksgiving!